Arthritis rates are on the rise.
Arthritis literally means joint inflammation by arthr= joint and itis=inflammation. 1 in 6 Americans is now suffering from debilitating arthritis according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). In adults over 65 the arthritis prevalence is over 50%! These statistics are staggering, however what many Americans don’t realize is that arthritis is not a normal part of aging. That’s right, read it again!!! Arthritis is an abnormal degeneration of a joint that is caused by improper alignment and stress on a joint. That means that if we correct the alignment and reduce stress on a joint arthritis and degeneration will minimize and pain will decrease as a result. Read more about what your doctor isn’t telling you about arthritis here.
So what can you do to minimized arthritis and improve your joint pain?
WELL I’M GLAD YOU’VE ASKED BECAUSE I HAVE SOME GREAT HEALTHY HABITS FOR YOU TODAY!
1) Visit your Chiropractor for a checkup on your spine and other joints that are painful. They will be able to check your joints for improper alignment and perform a chiropractic adjustment to correct that alignment so the joint doesn’t further degenerate.
2) Improve your posture. Standing up straight with your weight over the major joints of your body (head over shoulders and hips over ankles) will make sure that your bones and joints stay strong and also make sure to distribute the weight over your joints the way it was designed. This will also minimize stress on your joints and minimize pain as a result. Your chiropractor should be able to give you some great postural correction exercises to do at home.
3) Maintain a healthy weight. This will minimize stress on your joints, in fact one extra pound of weight puts 7 pounds of excess pressure on your knees.
4) Get regular exercise. This will help to strengthen your muscles to support the weight and stress associated with movement and it will take the stress away from your joints to delay or decrease joint degradation. However if you’re in pain, visit a natural healer such as your chiropractor to decrease the pain so that you can return to normal exercise and recreational activities. If you’re experiencing neck pain the most important muscles to strengthen are the ones in the back of your neck and between your shoulder blades, however if you’re experiencing low back pain the most important muscles to strengthen is your core muscles which includes those in the low back.
5) Stretch regularly to increase muscle length to normal size. This will increase their working power and protection for joints. This will also get circulation flowing in the joint as you relax your muscles for better joint performance. If you’re experiencing neck pain the most important muscles to stretch are your chest muscles, however if you’re experiencing low back pain the most important muscles to stretch are the ones in the backs of your legs and your feet.
6) If you’re experiencing arthritis pain already, use ice over the joint to reduce inflammation.
7) Make sure to soak your muscles in warm water or a hot shower after exercise. This will relax and loosen muscles and thus relieve excess joint pressure.
8) Make sure you’re drinking enough water. 70% of people are dehydrated and not having enough water in your body will affect the fluid in your joints which can further increase arthritis pain and cause further joint inflammation.
9) Make sure you’re getting enough fruits and vegetables. If you’re not getting at least 7 servings of fruits or vegetables daily then you’re body is most likely already more acidic than it should be. This can lead to increased body inflammation body-wide leading to even more arthritis degeneration and also decrease healing time for injuries.
10) If you’re not taking a multivitamin every day, you should add it to your daily regime. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, taking a multivitamin is “insurance” against low nutrient intake. However, you must be careful when selecting a multivitamin as they aren’t regulated by the FDA and many contain harmful additives such as heavy metals which can lead to toxicity or have such low quality ingredients that you are literally flushing them down the toilet. See Priority Health today for your Holistic Healthcare needs.